Who does not love eating healthy and saving a little money while you do it! All these main dishes will feed a family of 4 for under $15. These recipes hit the trifecta for taste, budget and health! We have revamped our favorite recipes to keep them in the $10-$15 range to serve a family of 4 (even for some of the biggest eaters!)
Slow Cooker Spiced Chicken Breasts
This chicken recipe makes taste, budget, and health a priority. Low in sodium, easy to make, and so good!
1. Loosen skin from chicken breasts. Place the chicken your slow cooker. In a bowl, mix lime juice, honey, mustard, and black pepper with a whisk. Pour lime juice mixture over the chicken.
3. Allow to bake in the slow cooker overnight or during the day. Remove when the meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.
4. Turn off the heat and keep the chicken loosely covered with foil or lid until you are ready to eat. Be sure to let stand for 10 minutes before carving. Remove and discard skin before serving. Pair with mashed potatoes and green beans.
Nutrition Info Approx.
Yield: 4-6 servings
This recipe makes for a great way to use up any protein left in the house – tofu, turkey, or leftover chicken. Plus, it's super easy and quick to make. Try serving these with a green salad to make a light meal. Enjoy!
1. Using a small bowl, combine chicken/turkey/tofu, cheese, celery, onion, salt, and pepper.
2. Separate crescent dough into eight triangles and top each side with protein mixture. Fold the dough over, making sure to seal the edges.
3. Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 13 to 17 minutes or until a golden brown. Serve warm.
Yield: 8 servings
Roasted Red Pepper Tilapia
Tilapia is an inexpensive fish, which is often sold as a “pre seasoned” filet at the seafood counter. However, if you want to try making your own dish, it is simple easy, and often much healthier. Pair with a spinach or green salad.
Roasted Pepper Sauce:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease shallow baking dish.
2. Prepare Roasted Pepper Sauce by combine ingredients for roasted pepper sauce in food processor or blender; process until smooth.
3. Cover bottom of baking dish with onion and garlic. Top with fish and sauce.
4. Bake 20 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with fork. Garnish as desired.
Yield: 4 servings