If the taste of real butter is appealing, then these Chewy Noels are a perfect cookie to include on Christmas cookie trays. The butter is melted in the baking pan and the easy to mix batter is poured over the butter and baked, resulting in a pronounced butter taste along with a chewy texture. A generous amount of crunchy pecans add both flavor and texture. To make them festive, it’s easy to pipe “Noel” on each of the squares with a tube of ready made frosting.
These cookies will most likely become a favorite year round, and can be drizzled with a little melted white chocolate when it isn’t Christmastime, or simply dusted with powdered sugar. Chewy Noels travel well and make a perfect addition to mailed care packages. These cookies keep 1-2 weeks in an airtight container at room temperature. They also freeze beautifully, and can be frozen several months ahead.
1/2 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla
2/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups chopped pecans
Confectioner's sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- While the oven is heating, place the butter in a 9" x 13" baking pan and put it in the oven just long enough to melt the butter.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, beat the brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix well.
- Stir in the nuts.
- Pour the batter over the melted butter and spread evenly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with confectioner's sugar.
- Cool on a rack and cut into squares.
- If desired, pipe "Noel" on each cookie in red or green icing.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 124 Calories from Fat 74
Percent Total Calories From: Fat 60% Protein 5% Carb. 35%
Nutrient Amount per Serving
Total Fat 8 g
Saturated Fat 2 g
Cholesterol 34 mg
Sodium 64 mg
Total Carbohydrate 11 g
Dietary Fiber 1 g
Sugars 0 g
Protein 2 g
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0% Calcium 0% Iron 3%