Guest Author - Amelia Johnson
Throwing a party and want to bring a little taste of Hawaiian cuisine to the table? Read on for recipes!
* 3 lbs chicken breasts
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple, drained and reserve liquid
* 1 cup pineapple juice
* 3 tablespoons cornstarch
* 3 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1/4 cup vinegar
* 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
* 1 green pepper, sliced
* 1 cup cashew nuts
* 2 cups raw rice, cooked as directed on package
Combine chicken with onion, celery, thyme, salt and pepper, cover with water and simmer until tender.
Remove from heat letting chicken cool in the liquid.
Skin and bone chicken.
Cut into bite size pieces and put in a 2 quart greased baking dish.
In a saucepan combine liquid from the canned pineapple, pineapple juice, cornstarch, soy sauce, vinegar and sugar and cook until clear.
Add green pepper, pineapple chunks, and nuts and simmer 5 minutes.
Pour sauce over chicken and bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Serve over hot rice.
* 1 package dry yeast
* 3 cups flour
* 2 tablespoons dry milk
* 1/3 cup coconut
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1/4 cup oil
* 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
* 2 teaspoons coconut extract
* 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained (reserve juice)
* 1/4 cup pineapple juice (reserved)
Place all ingredients in bread machine on sweet bread setting, using darker than normal crust setting.
Dough will appear dry until the cream cheese and pineapple become well blended.
* 4 thick slices of french loaf bread
* 4 slices cooked ham, thinly shaved (or use some cubed ham)
* 4 slices Gouda or swiss cheese, thinly sliced
* 4 pineapple rings (or about 1 cup tidbits)
* 4 maraschino cherries
Line a baking sheet with foil.
Toast bread slices in a toaster.
Place toast slices onto foil lined pan and top with 1 slice each ham, then a pineapple ring, then top with a slice of cheese.
Pop under the broiler briefly, just until the cheese melts- watch carefully- don't let the cheese burn.
This only takes a few minutes, depending upon your broiler, and will vary depending upon the type of cheese you use.
Remove toast from oven- the cheese should have melted around the pineapple ring, leaving a well to place the cherries.
* 6 ounces frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
* 3/4 cup water
* 1 (12 ounce) can apricot nectar, chilled
* 1 (12 ounce) can unsweetened pineapple juice, chilled
* ice cubes
* 1 1/4 cups ginger ale, chilled
* lemon slices
In a pitcher combine lemonade concentrate and water; add apricot nectar and pineapple juice.Stir well.
Add ice cubes, ginger ale and lemon slices to garnish and give another quick stir.