Guest Author - Lisa Babick
2 (8 oz.) packages part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1. Dip cheese in beaten egg and then dredge in flour.
2. Dip coated cheese in beaten egg again and then in seasoned breadcrumbs, pressing firmly so that crumbs stick.
3. Place coated cubes on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze at least 1 hour. (Freezing helps prevent the cheese from leaking out during frying.)
4. In a large skillet, cook garlic in 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until tender. Add tomatoes, oregano, sugar, salt and basil.
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 45 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Set aside, keep warm.
6. In a large Dutch oven or deep fryer, pour oil to a depth of 1-1/2 inches and heat to 375 degrees.
7. Fry cheese cubes until golden. Drain on paper towels.
8. Serve immediately with marinara sauce.